Header Menu

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

74) Death by Pumpkin Spice by Alex Erickson

The Blurb :

Bookstore café owner Krissy Hancock would rather spend Halloween serving pumpkin goodies than wearing costumes with Pine Hills’ wealthiest at Yarborough mansion, especially when the soiree shapes up to be more trick than treat . . .

As if a run-in with an old flame and a failed marriage proposal weren’t enough to horrify Krissy for one night, a woman is found strangled to death in a room filled with ominous jack-o’-lanterns. All signs suggest a crime of passion—but when the hostess’s jewelry disappears, malevolent intentions seem way more likely . . .

With the estate on lockdown and a killer roaming the halls, Krissy must help Officer Paul Dalton investigate each nook, cranny, and guest for answers—while also confronting a few demons of her own. Someone has lots of skeletons in the closet, and Krissy better tread lightly to expose them . . .

My Thoughts :

Well it seems my reading slump is over and my reading is back on track again...if not a little behind.  So it was only natural that instead of picking up one of the many books that have been on my to be read pile for ages that I went to the review books and picked up the one that releases next.  Death by Pumpkin Spice is the third book in the Bookstore Cafe Mysteries and I was looking forward to reading the new installment after enjoying the first two so much.

Unfortunately while this was nice, easy and quick read I have to say it wasn't as good as the previous two books in the series.  While the story was set in the right time of year and fits into the whole Halloween holiday that is soon upon us, that was one of the only things Death by Pumpkin Spice really had going for it.  Actually I felt a little disappointed by this one.

While the murder mystery plot wasn't a bad one and kept me guessing, the majority of the book took place at a party in a house that I had a hard time visualizing and had nothing to do with the bookstore cafe.  The idea wasn't a bad one but it was totally different to the previous books in the series and felt wrong from the beginning.  The rushing around, being allowed to help and the relationship woes were all a little over the top sometimes and I couldn't keep track of the time frame of the story and wasn't completely convinced that the other guests wouldn't have made more of a ruckus.

I didn't enjoy Death by Pumpkin Spice as much as the previous books but I am still hopeful for the series.  Maybe the author thought it would be good to have a change of scenery or she wanted to try something a little different.  However I missed the Bookstore and Cafe setting, I was sad that Krissy's cat wasn't around as much and I was hoping to get to know the regular characters a bit better.  Also the love triangle was bleh and Krissy putting herself down all the time was annoying.

All this said, I want to read more.  Every series has its ups and downs and despite having some problems with this installment I still liked it enough to keep reading and I still want to read more.    This is a nice cozy series that is still finding its feet but has a lot to offer.  Worth trying and giving a chance to!





Amberkatze's Book Blog




No comments: