Header Menu

Sunday, May 22, 2016

39) Watch for the Dead by Sheila Connolly

The Blurb :

Looking to take a break from busy home renovations, Abby and boyfriend Ned Newhall jump at the chance to vacation on Cape Cod. Not only do they plan to get away from the dust and grime, but since Abby has no known ancestors in the area, the trip promises to be free of the unsettling ghostly appearances that have darkened her recent days.

Dreams of a relaxing vacation are soon dashed, however, when a storm blows in and brings with it a scene from the past more disturbing than any Abby has ever experienced. The long-dead woman who appears to Abby is someone she’s met before, but this time her presence defies any explanation at all.

Determined to unravel the mystery of the woman’s recurring appearances, Abby follows a trail of family history and upheaval that spans generations and may yield the biggest revelation of all, not just about Abby’s ancestors but about her living relatives as well.

My Thoughts :

I have been enjoying this series ever since I came across it on Netgalley.  This fourth installment has been on my Kindle for a while but for some reason or another has continuously been bumped down my to be read pile.  So yesterday I finally decided it was high time to read this one and read it within a day.  I just couldn't put it down.

What I really love about this series is how unusual it is.  There is a amazing well thought out paranormal twist that I haven't come across before.  This aspect of the series has been developing with each book and this fourth part in the series offers up even more interesting and strange revelations in regards to the appearances that Abby and the others witness.

The other part of this series that I love is the genealogy.  Keeping track of everyone is sometimes a little hard and confusing but with each book I find myself always remembering everything from the previous installments.  Which is definitely due to Sheila's wonderful writing skills because this is something that I usually have trouble with.  The mystery of Abby's gift tied with the family history is an addictive story and I can't get enough.  Also the way that Ned and other the characters involved twist into the story is just wonderful reading.

I can't wait to see what happens next and look forward to discovering more about Abby's gift and her ancestors.  I hope the author doesn't make us wait long for the next part especially because this one felt like it ended very abruptly.  I just wasn't prepared for that to be it.  I am really hooked.

This isn't your usual cozy mystery but it is an amazing trail of clues that Abby is following.  Historical aspects included this is a must read series for me and definitely like nothing else I have read.  I hope one day to have more time and to read some of the authors other books/series.  She really is a talented writer.





Amberkatze's Book Blog




No comments: