Header Menu

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

27) Breach of Crust by Ellery Adams

The Blurb :

Ella Mae LeFaye’s delicious pies are still drawing long lines—as well as the attention of Beatrice Burbank, president of the Camellia Club, a philanthropic organization comprised of high-society Southern ladies from the charming and affluent town of Sweet Briar, Georgia. To ensure the success of their centennial dessert cookbook, Bea hires Ella Mae to teach the tasty tricks of her trade to the club’s members at their annual retreat. Eager to work on new recipes for customers with food allergies and dietary restrictions, Ella Mae readily agrees.

But when Ella Mae finds Bea’s body floating in Lake Havenwood, she wonders what she’s gotten herself mixed up in. Someone certainly wanted Bea to eat humble pie, and the retreat offers no shortage of unsavory characters, including Ella Mae’s longtime nemesis, Loralyn Gaynor. Ella Mae definitely doesn’t need magic to tell her she must find the killer before someone else gets panned.

My Thoughts :

I will start off this review by saying that I really love this cozy author.  She has some amazing paranormal cozies under her belt and also some great regular cozies too.   I have enjoyed all of her books so far and I actually have a couple more of her books on my to be read pile that need my attention.  However I picked this one to read first because I have always enjoyed the series.

This time around I have to say I wasn't as impressed as I have been with the previous books.  I wasn't too happy with how the last installment ended but this latest release (which comes out next week) wasn't my favourite so far.  There was a severe lack of the magical and a very dragged out mystery that wasn't very exciting.

While I did enjoy reading more of Ellery Adams work I have to say that the Charmed Pie Shoppe Mysteries are not turning out to be what I hoped.  The first few books were excellent but now the series seems to be taking a weird turn.  Despite having a lovely ending, some lovely characters and a nice location, Breach of Crust fell short of my expectations and I feel sad having to write not so positive review.

A nice read but not as good as some of Ellery's other books.  Make sure you check out this installment if you have been following the series.  Maybe I didn't enjoy it but that doesn't mean nobody else will.  Also make sure you check out some of the books by this author.  She can write a great cozy and they all prove that.





Amberkatze's Book Blog


No comments: