Header Menu

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

69) Portrait of a Dead Guy by Larissa Reinhart

The Blurb :

In Halo, Georgia, folks know Cherry Tucker as big in mouth, small in stature, and able to sketch a portrait faster than buckshot rips from a ten gauge -- but commissions are scarce. So when the well-heeled Branson family wants to memorialize their murdered son in a coffin portrait, Cherry scrambles to win their patronage from her small town rival.

As the clock ticks toward the deadline, Cherry faces more trouble than just a controversial subject. Between ex-boyfriends, her flaky family, an illegal gambling ring, and outwitting a killer on a spree, Cherry finds herself painted into a corner she’ll be lucky to survive.

My Thoughts :

Somehow I managed to read the third and fourth books in this series and now I am listening to the first and second books in the series so I can cross the series off my list.  I have no idea if there will be a fifth book but I enjoyed the others and wanted to see how things all began.

The audio version was nicely read.  I loved the accent of the narrator and her voice fit Cherry's attitude and personality even if she did sound a little bored now and again.  I have to admit that if I kept putting the book on my to be read pile I most likely wouldn't have go to it any time this decade but the audio version was a blessing and also very cheap.

As mysteries go this wasn't a bad one.  As a debut in the series it was great.  I had to keep reminding myself that this was the first book and that my previous experience with this author/series was more mature. There were parts of the story that made my mind wander and there were others that stood out and got my attention.  Funny, sad and sometimes crazy this was a Stephanie Plum kind of experience without the car explosions.

I already have the second book ready to listen to and hope to get to it soon.  This is a nice series and despite there being some artistic tangents and lots of references to that thing in Vegas, I like this quirky bunch of people and the town.



Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



No comments: